Dear CSWAC,

We have not received many applications for our Thinking Gender Coordinator GSR position. This position will coordinate our 30th Conference on the theme of SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND INTERSECTIONALITY.

Can you please circulate to your colleagues and graduate students as wide as possible? Information is below and attached.

Thank you!

Kristina

Kristina Magpayo Nyden

Management Services Officer

UCLA Center for the Study of Women

Office: 1500 Public Affairs

Phone: (310) 794-7821

Fax: (310) 825-0456

www.csw.ucla.edu

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

CSW Promotes a Fragrance-Free and Non-Toxic Environment – Share the Air!

Call for GSR Applications: 2020 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator

LEARN MORE AND APPLY ONLINE

APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 17, 2019

The Center for the Study of Women (CSW) is accepting applications for the 2020 Thinking Gender Conference Coordinator. This 25% Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) position offers a rare opportunity to plan and facilitate an internationally recognized graduate student research conference.

Thinking Gender is an annual public conference that draws scholars from across disciplines – humanities, social sciences, life sciences, arts, law, education, public health, and public policy – to share research on women, sexuality, and gender. Thinking Gender 2020 will be the 30th year of the conference. To find information on past Thinking Gender conferences, please visit our website.

THINKING GENDER 2020 CONFERENCE THEME: SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND INTERSECTIONALITY

The 2020 Thinking Gender Conference will address intersectional, anti-carceral, and transnational responses against sexual violence. Much of the recent public conversation around remedying sexual violence has been caught in legalistic, punitive, or criminal justice discourses that centers the punishment of individual actors. We ask instead: what questions, analytics, and strategies emerge if we think of sexual violence as a function of empire, militarism, the afterlife of slavery, dispossession, incarceration, detention and deportation, and labor exploitation, among other forms of state and capitalist violence, rather than only caused by the actions of a particular individual that can be corrected through punishment? What histories of feminist, Indigenous, queer, anti-racist, and anti-colonial organizing against sexual violence can we excavate as durable traditions for the challenges of our times? What capacious understandings of harm and alternative definitions of justice, repair, and remedy might emerge out of such frameworks?

While we are particularly interested in applications from candidates with strong research and/or activist interests related to this theme, we invite all UCLA Graduate Students with an interest in intersectional feminism to apply.

The selected applicant will have the opportunity to collaborate with CSW Faculty Grace Hong in refining this conference theme and developing a program that makes a significant contribution to sexual violence and intersectionality research.

ELIGIBILITY AND COMPENSATION

The Conference will take place in Winter 2020. This position provides a 25% Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) appointment with a monthly salary during Summer 2019, Fall 2019, and Winter 2020. During the academic year, fee remissions will be included. There is a possibility for an additional GSR appointment during Spring 2020, depending on remaining work and needs of the Center.

The GSR must be registered as a full-time student (enrolled in a minimum of 12 units) during the academic year and maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 throughout the duration of the appointment.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Under the supervision of the CSW Associate Director and Management Services Officer and in collaboration with the CSW Program and Research Developer, the Conference Coordinator will:

QUALIFICATIONS

APPLICATION MATERIALS
The following materials are required when submitting your application through the online application system:

1)     Cover Letter, outlining how your research interests relate to the conference theme, and what sessions you would incorporate (keynote speakers, workshops, etc.) that would both support the theme and serve the professional and research development needs of graduate students (1 page maximum)

2)     CV

3)     Unofficial UCLA Transcript (with most recent coursework and grades)

4)     List of References: Provide at least two references (name, title, contact information, relation to applicant), one of whom must be a UCLA faculty member. We advise that references be able to comment on your research aptitude (particularly as it relates to the theme), organizational skills, and capacity to oversee the production of a conference.

If selected for an interview, please be prepared to suggest and discuss possible sessions related to the theme, speakers, outreach and fundraising strategies, and formats for the conference.

LEARN MORE AND APPLY ONLINE

APPLICATION DEADLINE: JUNE 17, 2019

Questions? Contact Kristina Magpayo Nyden, Management Services Officer at [log in to unmask]

To unsubscribe from the CSW-CSWAC list, click the following link:
https://lists.sscnet.ucla.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=CSW-CSWAC