Dear friend,
I am writing to you as someone I know to be deeply concerned about diversity and inclusion at UCLA.  We have proposed the adoption of a Diversity Requirement for all undergraduates in the College of Letters and Science as just one small step toward both the improvement of our campus environment and essential preparation for undergraduates who will live and work in environments that are more complex and diverse than ever before. We share the view that an ability to understand the perspectives of others whose views, backgrounds, and experiences may differ from one’s own is a core competency.  And, furthermore, that our graduates must have the analytical skills to understand the structure, processes and practices that promote inequities and conflicts, as well as those that support fairness and inclusiveness.
 Unfortunately, there are some here who do not share the view that these abilities are critical competencies and, as such, proper educational goals.  Nor do they believe that the university should have any role in developing such abilities and skills.  They have mounted a campaign to discredit our efforts by mischaracterizing many aspects of the Diversity Requirement Proposal and even criticizing the voting process itself.
It is therefore imperative that you and your College faculty colleagues vote in this election.  The last time a diversity requirement was brought to the faculty for a vote, only 29% actually voted, which allowed the proposal to be defeated.  If we want victory, we must strive for a 100% turnout of those who believe that a Diversity Requirement is an essential part of a well-rounded UCLA education.
To vote, simply go to the Vote Diversity website:
http://Votediversity.ucla.edu<http://Votediversity.ucla.edu/>
I thank you for your vote and would greatly appreciate your encouraging others to do the same.
Take care,

Belinda
--
M. Belinda Tucker
Vice Provost, UCLA Institute of American Cultures

Professor of Psychiatry & Biobehavioral Sciences
Center for Culture and Health
Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles
(310) 794-3669