1500 PUBLIC POLICY
CAMPUS 722203

                                                                                                                                                                             (310) 825-0590

January 15, 2008

Dear Affliated Faculty,

We are very pleased to invite you to attend Thinking Gender, the Eighteenth Annual Graduate Student Research Conference on Friday, February 1, 2008.

We are confident that this year’s conference will appeal to a broad spectrum of undergraduate and graduate students who have an interest in feminist research on sexuality, public health, performance, globalization, historiography, labor, and the media. This year’s conference spotlights current graduate research on sexuality and femininity in the plenary session: “Lesbian, Counter, and Queer: New Directions in the Study of Femininity,” to be chaired by Lisa Duggan, Professor in the Program in American Studies, New York University.

If you are teaching this quarter, we hope that you will encourage your class to attend. We welcome classes! If you would like this year’s conference coordinator, Stacy Macías, to speak to your class about the conference offerings, please email her directly at [log in to unmask]. We are more than happy to assist you in any way that we can. We hope that you will invite your students and advisees to attend the conference and to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to engage with their fellow students, faculty, and scholars.

The conference is free and open to the public.  For information on the conference, please visit our website:  http://www.csw.ucla.edu/thinkinggender.html. The scheduling is not settled, but the preliminary list of panels is available: http://www.csw.ucla.edu/Forms/TG_2008_Panels.pdf  I hope that you will help us to advertise panels of interest to you and your students, advisees, and colleagues.

You should have received some copies of the poster and the plenary flyer recently. Please let us know if you need more copies.

With all best wishes,

Kathleen McHugh

Professor, English and Cinema and Media Studies

Director, UCLA Center for the Study of Women