RESEARCH-SCHOLARS-CHAT Archives

September 2008

RESEARCH-SCHOLARS-CHAT@LISTS.SSCNET.UCLA.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2008 13:19:58 -0700
Dear research scholars,

It was good to see everyone who came to the lunch, to put faces to
names and to share ideas about the coming year.  Just wanted to send
out a quick note to follow up on some of what we discussed.  Hope
those who are interested will respond accordingly...

first, Jenny Price has graciously volunteered to lead a tour of the LA
River as our "brown bag" for the fall quarter.  We're still working
out the date on this, it will likely be a Saturday or Sunday.  Stay
tuned.

second, if you would like to present a brown bag, please do let me
know ASAP.  All I need at this point is the month and/or quarter you'd
like to present, and a sense of your topic.

third, we will likely schedule a "working session" brown bag some time
during the coming year, possibly in late fall.

fourth, Gabi raised the idea of a a multi-day writer's
workshop next summer for which the CSW conference room could be made
available.  Gabi and others are welcome to follow up on this, if you'd
like to help initiate it.

fifth, it seemed there was interest in setting up a monthly gathering
time in the conference room.  Any strong feelings on the day/time?
Let me throw out as a possibility the first tuesday-wed-or-thursday of
the month from 10-1, depending on availabilility of the room.  Please
chime in if you have any other ideas on this.

sixth, if any of you want to initiate a "satellite" neighborhood
coffee, please send out a note on the listserv.  (Karen, I know you
had mentioned your interest in helping out with this and/or other get
togethers.)

That's it for now.  Please send out a note if you want to follow up on
any of these initiatives.  Also, if you couldn't make the lunch,
you're welcome to share your ideas on the listserv as well.

best,
Becky