RESEARCH-SCHOLARS-CHAT Archives

March 2009

RESEARCH-SCHOLARS-CHAT@LISTS.SSCNET.UCLA.EDU

Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 2009 10:43:43 -0800
Dear CSW Research Scholars,

We had an excellent response to my call for presenters at brown bag
seminars for spring. Thanks to everyone who responded. Here is our
line-up, for the remainder of the academic year:

CSW RESEARCH SCHOLARS BROWN BAG SCHEDULE, Spring 2009

Wed. March 18, 12-2 pm.  MARY FOX will present on "'Risk' in Social
Theory: Where are the Feminist Voices?"  This Brown Bag talk and
meeting will explore the ways that 'risk' has become a term of social
analysis, and we will consider together some feminist approaches to
risk that are so far quite sketchy. In fact some 'risk' theories may
be quite useful in feminist projects of our own, and the group will be
invited to consider together such uses. An accompanying website for
the Brown Bag Meeting will provide ways to explore the topic in
advance of the meeting itself. Website to be announced.

Monday April 13, 4-6 pm.  DENISE ROMAN will present on her experiences
serving as the European editor of Women's Studies International Forum,
a peer-reviewed feminist academic journal.  As Denise put it, "I want
to present on what it means to be the editor of a peer-reviewed
feminist journal. Since we all struggle to get published, and I find
myself on the other side of the publishing end, on the editor's seat,
I would like to offer my insights on the job... I have been in this
position for three years now, and I feel I have enough to share with
you, in the hope that it will also help you get published!"

Thursday May TBA, 12-2 pm.  GISELE MAYNARD-TUCKER will present on the
controversial holistic integration of family planning services into
HIV/AIDS programs in Africa. She is working this material into a
journal article and looks forward to presenting her data and getting
comments from her fellow Research Scholars.  (we will confirm the date
as soon as possible.)

Please mark your calendars for these dates.  All brown bags will be
held in the Rolfe Conference room.  Don't forget to bring your lunch!

I hope many of you will be able to make at least one of these
sessions. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

best,
Becky  (your RS liaison)